In 1844, the brothers Hermann and August Hupmann, who came from a German banking family, registered the mark. The legend wants to know that they prefixed the H with the dot as an abbreviation for Hermanos – Spanish brothers – after their last name – after they had stripped him of the H that is not spoken in Spanish.
The Hupmanns’ success was guaranteed by their efforts to deliver first-class quality. Packed in boxes made from the wood of Spanish cedar, with a guarantee declaration and Hermann Hupmann’s signature, the cigars made their way to Europe, where they were initially primarily intended as gifts for Hupmannsche Bank customers. But the triumphal march of Havana around the middle of the 19th century helped the brand to maintain a permanent presence. Hermann Hupmann was one of the five owners of the largest cigar factories in Cuba, which merged to form the “Havana Brand Association” in order to better protect themselves against counterfeiting. But the brand H.
All leaves of the H.Upmann cigars come from the tobacco region Vuelta Abajo.
No fewer than 14 medals, including eleven gold medals from international exhibitions during the 19th century, adorn the boxes in which Upmann cigars are packed.
Today, the brand consists of a large selection of ‘totalmente a mano, tripa larga’ – long fillers made entirely by hand.